Brampton, as we know it today, was once called Chinguacousy Township until 1834 when a local man named John Elliott decided to set up the area into sellable lots and referred to the area as Brampton. The new name was quickly adopted by new residents and has been called Brampton ever since. In 1853, local residents decided to hold its first town fair that offered farmers’ market produce, homemade as well as handmade items, and livestock for sale that aided in drawing in a new population to the area and this fair continues to this day and is known as The Brampton Fall Fair.
It wasn’t until 1873 that Brampton became an official town and only in 1974 did Brampton become a named city in the Peel Region when the smaller towns surrounding it (Toronto Gore, Townships of Chinguacousy, Huttonville, Bramalea, Springbrook, Coleraine, Victoria, Ebenezer, Claireville and Churchville) came together to be encompassed by the City of Brampton. It was in 1963 that Brampton established itself as the Flower Town of Canada by holding The Flower Festival of Brampton by the efforts of Edward Dale back in 1863 when he developed and grew flowers in his own nursery. The nursery began exporting advanced flower grading systems and countless types of species of flowers that grew in over 140 greenhouses. In 1980, there was a huge increase in residential new constructions and in 1995 Springdale, a massive suburban community was developed and in 1999 the developments had reached as far north as possible on the border with Caledon. Downtown Brampton offers condos as well as detached homes for sale in prime locations. Other parts of Brampton also offer real restate for sale that include semi0detached homes, townhouse complex’s and large detached family homes.